At least 42 killed in sectarian violence in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

Gunmen open fire on buses carrying Shia pilgrims in Kurram, where clashes with Sunnis have escalated in recent months.

Gunmen have opened fire on convoys of Shia pilgrims in northwestern Pakistan, killing at least 42 people, according to authorities in the restive province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Women and children were among the fatalities in the attacks in the Kurram tribal district on Thursday, police said on Friday.

Sectarian violence has escalated since July in Kurram, a region bordering Afghanistan, between Shia and Sunni tribes over land disputes.

Gunmen opened fire on two separate convoys of Shia pilgrims travelling with police escorts in Kurram. No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Javedullah Mehsud, the deputy commissioner of Kurram, said the attacks took place when the convoys were on their way from the district headquarters of Parachinar to Peshawar.

Mehsud told Al Jazeera on Friday that all the bodies had been recovered and burials would be conducted later in the day.

Police said 20 people were wounded.

“We also managed to recover 26 people belonging to the Shia community last night, including women and children, who were kept hostage by Sunni groups,” Mehsud said.

Map of Pakistan showing Kurram district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province

Ajmeer Hussain, 28, survived the attack.

“Gunfire suddenly erupted and I started reciting my prayers, thinking these were my final moments,” Hussain told the AFP news agency.

“I lay down at the feet of the two passengers sitting next to me. Both of them were struck by multiple bullets and died instantly,” he said.

“The shooting lasted for about five minutes.”

Condemning the attacks, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said, “The enemies of peace in the country have attacked a convoy of innocent citizens, an act that amounts to sheer brutality.”

Mehmood Ali Jan, a local tribal elder, told Al Jazeera that locals were furious with the authorities, especially law enforcement which was supposed to provide security to the convoys but failed to do so.

“People are planning to gather in Parachinar to protest against the security forces,” Ali Jan said.

The attacks came days after at least 20 soldiers were killed in separate incidents in the province. In October, 11 people were killed in tribal clashes in Kurram.

Kurram has a long history of sectarian strife between Shia and Sunni groups. More than 2,000 people were killed in the deadliest period of violence between 2007 and 2011.

The mountainous region adjacent to Afghanistan’s Khost, Paktia, and Nangarhar provinces has also become a hotspot for armed groups, with frequent attacks by the Pakistan Taliban or Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP), and ISIL (ISIS).

Earlier this month, thousands gathered for a peace march in Parachinar, urging the government to enhance security for Kurram’s 800,000 residents, of whom more than 45 percent belong to the Shia minority.

Commenting on Thursday’s attacks, Mehsud said: “There is naturally a lot of anger and fury among the people in the area … This was a land dispute which has now turned into a tribal-cum-sectarian rift but we have full support of tribal elders not only from Kurram but also other areas.”

The authorities cannot rule out the presence of militants in this attack, he said, but investigations are continuing.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US confirms 157 killed in maritime strikes experts call ‘extrajudicial’

    Defence official tells Congress that 47 alleged drug-trafficking vessels have been struck since campaign began. The United States military has confirmed that at least 157 people have been killed in…

    Ten ICU patients killed in hospital fire in eastern India

    NewsFeed Emergency responders carried patients out of a government hospital in Odisha, India, after a fire killed at least 10 ICU patients, according to officials. Published On 16 Mar 2026…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii