UN warns escalating Israel-Hezbollah violence risks devastating conflict

At UNSC, UN rights chief says Israel’s attacks on Hezbollah devices violated international law and could be a war crime.

A senior United Nations official has told the Security Council that further violence between Israel and Iran-aligned groups Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon risked igniting a far more damaging conflict.

“We risk seeing a conflagration that could dwarf even the devastation and suffering witnessed so far,” UN political affairs chief Rosemary DiCarlo told the 15-member council on Friday, which met about attacks this week on Hezbollah.

“It is not too late to avoid such folly. There is still room for diplomacy,” she said. “I also strongly urge member states with influence over the parties to leverage it now.”

As its war in Gaza nears one year old, Israel killed at least 14 people and wounded 66 in an air raid on the Lebanese capital Beirut on Friday.

The Israeli military claimed that a top Hezbollah commander and other senior figures in the Lebanese movement were among the dead, and pledged to conduct a new military campaign until it secures the area around the Lebanese border.

Hezbollah has not confirmed the deaths of any commanders on Friday.

Israel’s air raid followed two days of attacks in which Hezbollah pagers and walkie-talkies exploded, killing 37 people and wounding thousands. Those attacks were widely believed to have been carried out by Israel, which has neither confirmed nor denied its involvement.

On Friday, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk told the Security Council that the attack on Hezbollah communications devices violated international law and could constitute a war crime.

Turk said it was “difficult to conceive” how the attacks on Hezbollah’s communications devices “could possibly conform with the key principles of distinction, proportionality, and precautions in attack, under international humanitarian law”.

He added that he was “appalled” by the attacks using communication devices.

“This has unleashed widespread fear, panic and horror among people in Lebanon, already suffering in an increasingly volatile situation since October 2023 and crumbling under a severe and longstanding economic crisis. This cannot be the new normal,” he said.

Turk called for an independent, thorough and transparent investigation and for those who ordered and carried out the attacks to be held to account.

Deputy US Ambassador to the UN Robert Wood told the council that the US expects all parties to comply with international humanitarian law and take all reasonable steps to minimise harm to civilians, especially in densely populated areas.

“It is imperative that even as facts emerge about the latest incidents – in which I reiterate, the United States played no role – all parties refrain from any actions which could plunge the region into a devastating war.”

Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated from homes on both sides of the Israel-Lebanon border since Hezbollah began firing rockets into Israel in October in support of Gaza, where Israel is waging a devastating war that has killed more than 41,000 Palestinians.

Israel, which last fought an all-out war against Hezbollah 18 years ago, has said it will use force if necessary to ensure its citizens can return to their homes in northern Israel.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    MSF warns of ‘rapidly spreading’ outbreak as cholera kills 31 in Ethiopia

    The global medical charity says the situation has worsened with the arrival of refugees from South Sudan, where thousands are infected. At least 31 people have died from a “rapidly…

    Escalating Israeli strikes on Gaza kill 50 Palestinians in 24 hours

    Hospitals report casualties from Israeli attacks on aid convoys, schools, and civilian vehicles. Palestinians pray over the bodies of the victims of an Israeli attack on a home late on…

    You Missed

    Trump’s chilling new warning to Iran’s Ayatollah over Houthi attacks: live updates

    Trump’s chilling new warning to Iran’s Ayatollah over Houthi attacks: live updates

    Is this REALLY the new leader of the resistance? SCOTT JENNINGS reveals the laughable reason why Democrats are more hated than they’ve been in nearly four decades!

    Is this REALLY the new leader of the resistance? SCOTT JENNINGS reveals the laughable reason why Democrats are more hated than they’ve been in nearly four decades!

    Can Trump actually void Biden pardons? Legal experts weigh in on the president’s shock move

    Can Trump actually void Biden pardons? Legal experts weigh in on the president’s shock move

    Last Battle of Britain pilot dies aged 105: John ‘Paddy’ Hemingway was shot down four times and survived a plane crash. Now tributes pour in as his death draws to a close our ‘finest hour’

    Last Battle of Britain pilot dies aged 105: John ‘Paddy’ Hemingway was shot down four times and survived a plane crash. Now tributes pour in as his death draws to a close our ‘finest hour’