Israel intensifies air raids on southern Lebanon amid escalation fears

Israeli defence minister says Hezbollah to ‘pay an increasing price’ as group promises retaliation over device attacks.

Israel has intensified attacks on southern Lebanon, launching dozens of air raids amid fears of a wider escalation in the region.

Israeli warplanes targeted the towns of Mahmoudieh, Ksar al-Aroush and Birket Jabbour in the Jezzine area on Thursday, Lebanon’s National News Agency reported.

Three unnamed Lebanese security sources told the news agency Reuters it was some of the most intense bombing since the start of the war in Gaza in October when Israel and the Iran-backed group Hezbollah started trading cross-border fire.

The Israeli military said its air force struck approximately 100 rocket-launchers, as well as other infrastructure. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties.

In a Thursday briefing, the Israeli defence minister said Hezbollah would “pay an increasing price” as Israel seeks to make conditions near its border with Lebanon safe enough for residents who have fled the cross-border attacks to return.

“The sequence of our military actions will continue,” Yoav Gallant said.

In a speech earlier on Thursday, Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said the pager and walkie-talkie attacks against its members in Lebanon and Syria this week crossed “all red lines” and the group would retaliate.

In recent weeks, Israeli leaders have stepped up warnings of a potential larger military operation against Hezbollah, saying they are determined to stop the group’s fire to allow tens of thousands of Israelis to return to homes near the border.

In his first speech since the device attacks on Tuesday and Wednesday, Nasrallah acknowledged that Hezbollah had suffered an “unprecedented” blow from the blasts, which killed 37 people and wounded nearly 3,000 over two days. Nasrallah said Hezbollah would continue operations against Israel “until the aggression on Gaza stops”.

Hamas said it “highly appreciates” Hezbollah’s support and Nasrallah’s stance frustrated Israel’s “plans to undermine the support front of our people and resistance in the Gaza Strip”.

Israel has not commented on the device explosions.

White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre said a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas would “lower the temperature” in the region but also said the US was “unwavering” against any Iran-backed threats.

A preliminary investigation by the Lebanese authorities found the devices were implanted with explosives before arriving in the country, according to a letter by the Lebanese mission to the United Nations that was seen by Reuters.

The authorities also determined the devices, which included pagers and handheld radios, were detonated via electronic messages, according to the letter sent to the UN Security Council.

Hezbollah and Israel have been engaged in a mostly low-level conflict since Israel launched an assault on Gaza on October 7, which has killed more than 41,000 Palestinians.

In late July, Israel killed Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr in Beirut, and hours later, Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh was killed in Tehran, triggering fears of an escalation.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Israel says Nickolay Mladenov to direct Trump’s proposed Gaza ‘peace board’

    Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu announcemed the Bulgarian diplomat as the ‘designated’ director-general for Trump’s ‘board of peace’. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says that former United Nations Middle East envoy…

    Israel looking to reopen Rafah crossing after US pressure: Israeli media

    Israel currently occupies the Palestinian side of the crossing, choking Gaza of a vital humanitarian entry point. Israel is preparing to reopen the Rafah crossing between the Gaza Strip and…

    You Missed

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’