Trump administration official who resigned in protest over January 6 says she wants to return to the White House if he wins

By Nikki Schwab, Chief Campaign Correspondent For Dailymail.Com In Washington, D.C.

Published: | Updated:

Former President Donald Trump‘s Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said she’d return to the White House for a second term – despite dramatically quitting the administration over January 6

DeVos appeared at a fundraiser for Michigan Republican Senate hopeful Mike Rogers on August 5.

There she told The Detroit News that she was open to coming back into the fold.

‘I don’t think President Trump would ask me again,’ DeVos conceded.  

She added that she was open to the idea ‘only if it was with the goal of phasing out the Department of Education as we tried to do through budgetary process in the first administration.’ 

Former Trump Education Secretary Betsy DeVos told The Detroit News last week that she would be open to returning to a position in a second Trump administration, despite quitting her Cabinet-level position over the January 6 Capitol attack 

‘Also getting a commitment to passing a major education freedom bill in the form of a tax credit mechanism at the Department of Treasury,’ DeVos added. 

Conservatives have long wanted to kill off the federal Department of Education – pushing for education tax dollars to go toward policies like school voucher programs as opposed to financing the system of public K-12 schools in the United States. 

Trump has said he’s open to closing the Department of Education, saying at a recent rally he would ‘move everything back to the states where it belongs.’ 

Congress would have to pass legislation in order for that to happen and it’s unlikely it would survive a filibuster threat in the U.S. Senate. 

The Heritage Foundation’s Project 2025 has outlined some ways Trump could dismantle the Department of Education if elected in the fall. 

While Trump has had a falling out with a number of ex-aides who have then been brought back into the fold – Steve Bannon being a prime example – it’s unclear if he would be open to re-hiring DeVos, a Michigan-based billionaire. 

DeVos was one of two Cabinet secretaries to quit over the Capitol assault. 

Betsy DeVos was among the officials working for President Donald Trump (left) who quit the administration over the U.S. Capitol attack (right) on January 6, 2021, in which a crowd of Trump supporters ransacked the Capitol and interrupted the election certification 

She resigned after Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao – wife of Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell – said she was done

‘There is no mistaking the impact your rhetoric had on the situation, and it is the inflection point for me,’ DeVos told Trump in a letter announcing her resignation. 

‘We should be highlighting and celebrating your administration’s many accomplishments on behalf of the American people,’ she also offered. 

‘Instead, we are left to clean up the mess caused by violent protesters overrunning the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to undermine the people’s business,’ DeVos added.

President Joe Biden’s 2020 election win was being certified the day of the Capitol attack. 

DeVos also acknowledged that she had spoken with other Cabinet members about invoking the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from power prior to Biden’s 2021 inauguration. 

Still, she told the Detroit News that while she hasn’t officially endorsed Trump’s 2024 run, she would be ‘definitely supporting the Republican ticket’ in the November election.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump calls off planned weekend strikes on new Iran targets as he hints at shock deal to REOPEN Strait of Hormuz

    See more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a Preferred Source By WILL POTTER, US SENIOR NEWS REPORTER Published: 22:23 EDT, 1 August 2026 | Updated: 05:08 EDT,…

    Donald Trump wins golf tournament with barely-believable score at his own course… after ‘disrespectful’ faux pas in front of US troops

    Donald Trump wins golf tournament with barely-believable score at his own course… after ‘disrespectful’ faux pas in front of US troops See more Daily Mail on Google – save us…

    You Missed

    Fearless three-year-old defies mom to take solo trek to grandma’s house more than half a mile away

    Fearless three-year-old defies mom to take solo trek to grandma’s house more than half a mile away

    US launches fresh round of powerful strikes on Iran in revenge for thwarted attack as Trump considers new ‘go big’ military strategy

    US launches fresh round of powerful strikes on Iran in revenge for thwarted attack as Trump considers new ‘go big’ military strategy

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    David Miliband said no when asked to be Education Secretary… and Lucy Powell’s angry at Deputy PM snub

    New test that could identify signs of Alzheimer’s disease set for Australia

    New test that could identify signs of Alzheimer’s disease set for Australia

    Connecticut mom makes risky legal move after getting sweetheart deal for allegedly locking stepson inside decrepit house of horrors for decades

    Connecticut mom makes risky legal move after getting sweetheart deal for allegedly locking stepson inside decrepit house of horrors for decades

    Dramatic rescues unfold at popular swimming spot as TWO more people are injured just days after teen crashed into rocks while cliff jumping

    • By poster
    • August 22, 2026
    • 17 views
    Dramatic rescues unfold at popular swimming spot as TWO more people are injured just days after teen crashed into rocks while cliff jumping