Israeli attack kills five in central Syria: State media

Syrian security source says Israeli ‘aggression’ coming from Lebanese airspace targets military installations.

Israeli missiles have killed at least 18 people in central Syria, and dozens have been wounded, the health minister says.

A military source told the state-controlled SANA news agency that “at around 23:20 [20:20 GMT] on Sunday evening, the Israeli enemy launched an air aggression from the direction of northwestern Lebanon, targeting a number of military sites in the central region [of Syria].”

“Our air defence systems confronted the aggression’s missiles and shot down some of them,” the source added, without providing further details.

Speaking to reporters, Syrian Health Minister Hassan al-Ghabbash described the strikes as a “brutal and barbaric aggression”. He said 18 people were killed and nearly 40 people were wounded.

Minister of Electricity Mohammad al-Zamel said the strikes had also caused “truly significant” damage to water and electricity infrastructure.

“This brutal attack targeted civilian targets, and the martyrs were mostly civilians as were the wounded,” he said.

The attack on Sunday night also sparked a fire and caused damage near the city of Masyaf in Hama province, according to SANA.

Two regional intelligence sources said a major military research centre for chemical arms production located near Masyaf had been hit several times, Reuters reported. A team of Iranian military experts involved in weapons production was believed to be working at the site, the news agency added.

Local media also reported strikes around the coastal city of Tartous.

On Monday afternoon, a charred car remained at the scene of one strike and smoke was still rising from some spots where fires had been put out.

The Israeli military commonly does not comment on its operations in Syria.

‘Harsh punishment’

Israeli jets have often launched attacks against Syria from Lebanon, likely in a bid to avoid Syrian airspace, where multiple regional and international forces, including those of Russia and the United States, operate.

Throughout Syria’s 13-year war, Israel has regularly carried out air raids in the country, mostly targeting Iran-linked sites.

Sunday’s attack comes amid growing regional tensions with Iranian officials still pledging to respond to the assassination of Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran in July.

Iran, which maintains a military presence in Syria, had promised “harsh punishment” for Israel, but no Iranian attack has materialised more than 40 days after the assassination.

Last week, Mohsen Chizari, a top Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander, said Iran’s response is coming “in due time”.

Iran launched a direct attack on Israel with hundreds of drones and missiles in April in response to the Israeli bombing of an Iranian diplomatic facility in Damascus.

Israeli and US air defences in the region helped shoot down most of the projectiles, minimising the damage of the attack.

Separately, Hezbollah carried out its own attack against Israel on August 25, responding to the killing of one of its top commanders in an Israeli air raid in Beirut that also killed several civilians.

Israel said it thwarted the operation with a preemptive attack, but the Iran-aligned Lebanese group said it successfully hit an Israeli military intelligence site near Tel Aviv.

Cross-border hostilities between Hezbollah and Israel have continued on a near daily basis. Hezbollah says it is targeting military sites in northern Israel and Syria’s occupied Golan Heights in support of Palestinians in Gaza, where the ongoing Israeli war has killed more than 40,900 people.

The Lebanese group has promised to continue its military operations until the war on Gaza ends while Israeli officials have promised to push Hezbollah away from the country’s northern border, including by all-out war if necessary.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Iran says it will attack all U.S. military bases in the Middle East as missiles target the Fifth Fleet in Bahrain

    Iran launched a barrage of missiles against US military bases in the Middle East in response to Donald Trump and Israel‘s massive assault on Saturday morning. Explosions rocked Bahrain –…

    Israeli police destroy children’s footballs at Al-Aqsa mosque

    NewsFeed Video shows Israeli police confiscating and destroying footballs that were being played with by children in the courtyards of Al-Aqsa mosque in occupied East Jerusalem, in what mosque authorities…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii