Trump, Harris agree on debate rules after dispute over muted microphones

ABC News confirms ground rules for first presidential debate on September 10.

United States Vice President Kamala Harris and former US President Donald Trump have settled on the ground rules for their first debate following a dispute over whether their microphones should be kept on throughout the event.

ABC News on Wednesday confirmed the format for the September 10 debate after the disagreement over microphones had threatened to derail the first – and, so far, only confirmed – face-off between the Democratic and Republican nominees.

ABC News said Trump would give the last closing statement and stand on the left of the screen after winning a virtual coin flip.

The 90-minute debate will be held at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia and feature no audience.

The announcement came after the Harris campaign agreed that the microphones would be muted when it is the other candidate’s turn to speak.

Her campaign had pressed to keep the microphones on at all times, arguing she should have the opportunity to “deal with Trump’s constant lies and interruptions in real-time.”

In a letter to ABC News after agreeing to the rules, the Harris campaign said it would be “fundamentally disadvantaged by this format”, but it did not wish to “jeopardise the debate”.

Trump said last week he would “probably” keep the microphones on, but “the agreement was that it would be the same as it was last time”.

Before dropping his bid for re-election, US President Joe Biden had insisted on muted microphones to stop Trump from interrupting him while speaking.

Harris and Trump both agreed to a debate on September 10, but the event had been in question in recent weeks after the sides clashed over the microphone rules and the Republican candidate suggested that he might back out.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    President Donald Trump is asking for an eye-popping $1.5 trillion to fund the Pentagon in the budget proposal the White House released Friday.  With the war with Iran ongoing, Trump…

    Trump says Iranian civilians want America to unleash military power as he threatens to wipe out ‘every power plant’ and leave no bridges standing

    President Donald Trump has claimed that the Iranian people want the US to unleash its military power on the country, as he threatened to wipe out ‘every power plant’ amid the…

    You Missed

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    Hard-working Aussie almost DIES after horror mistake with painkiller Nurofen

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    ‘Paranoid’ Pete Hegseth fired highest-ranking US Army officer amid Iran war ‘because he was threatened by him’

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    New York Times goes viral for embarrassing blunder in Iran war coverage

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Trump asks for eye-popping number to fund Pentagon as he rips through $1 billion per DAY on Iran war

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Green Party plans to reduce the speed limit on Britain’s motorways to 55mph under Zack Polanski’s ‘war on motorists’

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war

    Pete Hegseth fires highest-ranking US Army officer in the middle of Iran war