Russia’s Lavrov says ‘clear’ that US ordered 2022 Nord Stream blasts

Foreign minister doubles down on long-held Russian theory after reports that German prosecutors issued arrest warrant for Ukrainian man.

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has said that it is “clear” that the United States ordered the 2022 attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines.

His comment followed reports that German prosecutors have issued an arrest warrant for a Ukrainian man over the blasts on the pipelines, which carried Russian gas to Germany under the Baltic Sea, while The Wall Street Journal reported the explosions were carried out by a Ukrainian crew and approved by Kyiv’s then military commander-in-chief.

Speaking to reporters during a visit to Azerbaijan on Monday, Lavrov doubled down on Moscow’s long-stated claims that the West was involved.

“It is clear that to carry out such a terrorist attack, there was a command from the very top, as they say. The very top for the West is, of course, Washington,” Lavrov told Izvestia newspaper in a video interview published on its Telegram channel.

Lavrov, however, did not present clear evidence of his claim.

He said there were “attempts to blame everything on a group of drunken officers”, something he branded “not serious”.

The US had no immediate response to Lavrov’s latest assertion but has previously dismissed Russian suggestions of its involvement.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has previously suggested that the US was responsible for the attack, which Moscow has repeatedly described as a “sabotage”.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Ukraine’s top military commander at the time, Valerii Zaluzhnyi, oversaw the plan to blow up the pipelines used by Russia to deliver gas to Europe.

The paper claimed that Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy approved of the plan but tried to stop it after the US’s CIA told him they were aware of the plans and warned against it.

On Wednesday, Poland confirmed that it had received a German arrest warrant for a Ukrainian man who is reportedly a suspect over the attack.

A sharp pressure drop on the pipelines under the Baltic Sea was registered on September 26, 2022 and seismologists detected explosions, triggering a wave of speculation about who sabotaged the multibillion-dollar project that carried Russian gas to Germany.

No one has claimed responsibility for the blasts, which occurred off the Danish island of Bornholm and ruptured three out of four lines of the system.

Source

:

Al Jazeera and news agencies

Read More

  • Related Posts

    EU set to lock up Russia’s frozen assets so Hungary and Slovakia can’t veto their use

    This page either does not exist or is currently unavailable. From here you can either hit the “back” button on your browser to return to the previous page, or visit…

    Is Russia’s Putin ready to stop Ukraine war along current front line?

    Kyiv, Ukraine – Finishing a cigarette with a final deep puff outside a hospital building in central Kyiv, a wounded Ukrainian drone operator sums up Russian President Vladimir Putin’s readiness…

    You Missed

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    NATO chief warns war with Russia ‘is at our door’ and tells Europe to be ready for action ‘now’ to avoid battle on scale ‘our grandparents and great-grandparents endured’

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Charlie Kirk shooting suspect Tyler Robinson makes first public appearance since murder… and his mom bursts into tears at the sight of him

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Zelensky says the people of Ukraine will have to vote on handing land over to Russia in any US peace proposal

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Billionaire heir’s horrific final moments caught on camera after he led cops on chase to his $2.8m hunting lodge during marriage drama… then strutted out front door holding a gun

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Plans to ban new petrol cars in the EU have been abandoned in hasty u-turn from European lawmakers

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’

    Family say grandmother’s death after catching Legionnaires’ disease from ‘smelly and off-colour’ hot tub in rented holiday cottage was ‘entirely preventable’