Venezuela launches probe against opposition leaders Gonzalez, Machado

Opposition leader and presidential candidate face an investigation over their appeal to the army and the police ‘to take the side of the people’.

A criminal investigation has been launched in Venezuela against the opposition’s presidential candidate Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia and its leader Maria Corina Machado for announcing an election winner other than President Nicolas Maduro and allegedly instigating disobedience and insurrection.

Attorney General Tarek William Saab announced the probe on Monday after a written appeal the two opposition members sent hours earlier to the army and the police about Maduro and the demonstrators who have come out in force to defend their votes in the July 28 election.

Saab, in a written announcement posted on X, said the duo “falsely announced a winner of the presidential election other than the one proclaimed by the National Electoral Council, the only body qualified to do so” and they openly incited “police and military officials to disobey the laws”.

While under public pressure to release detailed, precinct-level records backing up its assertion that Maduro won, the National Electoral Council said on Monday it had presented all these records to the Supreme Court for certification, as requested by the president – but not publicly.

The opposition insists Gonzalez Urrutia was the rightful victor of last month’s election, which has plunged the oil-rich nation into a political crisis.

Multiple countries, including the United States and Argentina, have recognised Gonzalez Urrutia as the winner, while others, such as the European Union, have stopped short of doing so while calling for full publication of voting records.

The contested election caused protests last week that killed at least 11 civilians, according to rights groups.

“We appeal to the conscience of soldiers and police officers to take the side of the people and their own families,” the opposition said in a statement, in which they offered “guarantees to those who fulfill their constitutional duty” in a possible “new government”.

The statement, which Gonzalez Urrutia signed as “president-elect”, also urges the security forces to halt the “repression” of opposition protests.

The government has reported the deaths of two soldiers in the clashes.

The opposition statement said that top commanders were “aligned with Maduro and his vile interests, while you are represented by the people who went out to vote … whose will was expressed on July 28, and you know it”.

Call for dialogue

Brazil’s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Monday called for dialogue between the Venezuelan government and opposition to resolve the election dispute.

“A commitment to peace is what leads us to call the parties to dialogue and to promote understanding between the government and the opposition,” Lula said during a state visit to Chile, where he met with President Gabriel Boric.

Lula, a Maduro ally engaged in a sensitive diplomatic balancing act, has urged his Venezuelan counterpart to publish voting records to resolve the dispute.

Read More

  • Related Posts

    US launches sweeping crackdown on Southeast Asia cyberscams and sanctions Cambodian senator

    BANGKOK — U.S. officials have announced a sweeping crackdown on Southeast Asian cyberscam operations as part of what U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro characterized Friday as a “new theater of war”…

    Police in Venezuela block protesters calling for higher wages, pensions

    Cost of living issues have persisted in Venezuela since the US abducted former President Nicolas Maduro in January. Union leaders, retirees and public sector workers in the Venezuelan capital of…

    You Missed

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Anthony Albanese’s stern response after Donald Trump threatened to destroy ‘whole civilisation’ in Iran

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    Kristi Noem’s controversial $70M luxury jet to be repurposed for Melania’s personal use

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    The night the world held its breath: Iranian missiles rained down across the Middle East as clocks ticked towards Trump’s obliteration deadline… then with less than 90 minutes to go he fired up Truth Social…

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Interest rate cap on student loans ‘is just tinkering round the edges’

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Wife of US Army sergeant who came to US as a BABY released by ICE after being detained at military base

    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 2 views
    Top doctor breaks down as he’s found guilty of attempted manslaughter for trying to push wife off cliff in Hawaii